Thursday, March 8, 2012

Cookies & Cream Cupcakes


These cupcakes have an Oreo inside of them. How can you NOT want to make these???

OK, wait, let me back up. This started when we decided to revive birthdays at work. I've been at my job a year and a half and we have not been celebrating birthdays.  That's dumb. We decided to change that. As in, we decided to change that the day before a coworkers birthday, and the same day an AT&T technician was *supposed* to come fix my home internet. (He never showed, FYI.......) ANYWAY-- On the drive home, I mentioned to my carpool buddy that, if the AT&T guy showed up in a timely manner, I'd run to the store and get Oreos and make cupcakes with Oreos inside. The conversation went like this:

Carpool buddy: You'll do what?

Me: Make cupcakes. With Oreos inside.

Carpool buddy: Like, it stays in there-- in the middle-- like a cookie.

Me: Yes. Just like that.

Carpool buddy: (Wide eyed, as to indicated mind has been BLOWN) WE MUST GET YOU OREOS!!! There is a store up there by that red light. I'm getting out.

Me: Dude, you can't do that.

Carpool buddy: Yes I can!!!!

And, in fact, she did. She totally jumped out at the red light, ran in the store, and came out with Oreos. So, really, this whole post is owed to her ability to swiftly hop out of my car, buy Oreos, and jump back in during the length of a red light.


(For a printable version of this recipe, click here)

Cookies & Cream Cupcakes - Yield 24 standard cupcakes
Adapted from the Magnolia Vanilla Cupcake recipe posted on the Food Network.

Cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups white sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
24 whole Oreos

Icing:
3/4 cup butter or shortening (I used shortening)
4 cups powered sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 cup crushed Oreos (aprox.10 Oreos; crush a few extra if you want some for garnish)


Step #1 - Preheat the over to 350* F.

Step #2 - In a small bowl, combine both flours.

Step #3- In a large bowl, use a mixer to cream the butter until it is smooth. Then add in the sugar and beat until it is fluffy (about 3 minutes).


Step #4 - Add the eggs to the sugar/butter mixture, one at a time, beating well after each egg.




Step #5 - Add the four mixture and the milk to the egg/butter/sugar mixture. Alternate adding four with adding liquid, starting and ending with the flour.  Make sure you mix it thoroughly; don't leave lumps.


Step #6 -Fill baking cups 1/4 of the way full with batter, then place an Oreo on top of each one. Let the Oreo sit on top of the batter, don't squish it down to the bottom of the cup.



Step #7 - Cover the Oreo with batter. Cups should be 3/4 filled when this is finished.



Step #8 - Bake at 350*F. Bake 17-20 minutes. Do not let these get too brown; remove them from the oven when they are set. As there is a cookie in the center, you cannot poke these with a toothpick to see if they are done. You have to watch the tops, wait for them to look firm, but not brown. Remove them from the baking pan as soon as they are cool enough to handle. Finish cooling on a wire rack. I recommend covering them with wax paper and/or a tea towel while they cool. This helps prevent them from drying out.


For the Icing:
Mix all sugar, shortening and milk together with a mixer until well combined. Add in the crushed Oreos and beat until the Oreos are well combined and crushed into very small pieces.

Do not try to pipe this icing onto cupcakes unless you have extremely large icing tips. I attempted with both a Wilton 1M and 4B and, both times, the cookie pieces clogged the tip and almost bent the prongs.



3 comments:

  1. I can attest that those cupcakes were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a huge "cookie and cream" type person, but I love Oreos. . .I'm weird, I know. . . .but this looks insanely good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these for a work party. After eating one of the cupcakes, a middle aged coworker exclaimed, "I wish Leslie was my mother!" Presumably so that I could bake for her. Thanks Julievision in the Kichen!

    ReplyDelete