Thursday, May 31, 2012

Peanut Butter M&M Cookies


As I mentioned here, Erin recently turned 30, and I baked a number of things for the surprise party that her husband threw for her. I was able to find pink and orange M&Ms in the exact colors of the party, so I knew I had to bake something with them. What goes better with chocolate than peanut butter? (The answer is nothing.)

This peanut butter cookie recipe was my great grandfather's favorite; I remember baking them for him with my mom when I was a kid. It is simple and basic, but I have yet to find one that I like better. The M&Ms were not part of the original recipe, but it was just too good a combination to resist! (Please note: I know these photos are all very yellow. Photography is not my game. I'm trying.) :-)

(For a printable version of this recipe, click here)
Peanut Butter M&M Cookies (Yield- about 3 dozen)

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
1 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup M&Ms


Step #1 - Preheat oven to 375* F.


Step #2 - Beat together the sugars, shortening,  peanut butter, eggs and vanilla until creamy.


Step #3 - In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt and baking soda.


Step #4 - Slowly add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture. You can start by using a mixer, but will need to switch to a spoon about half way through adding the flour, as the batter is very thick. It should resemble thick play dough when all the flour is added and well incorporated.



Step #5 - Mix in M&Ms.



Step #6 - Roll dough into balls this size of walnuts and place them on a parchment covered (or well greased) cookie sheet. I placed one M&M on top of each dough ball to make sure that each cookie got a pop of color; this is optional, but can help make them pretty!



Step #7 - Bake at 375* F for 8-10 minutes. Cookies are done when the tops have cracked and they are just barely starting to brown.


3 comments: